Monday 7 September 2015

John Walker Memorial Road Race - National B

It's a familiar sight by now, cruising up the M4, M5 or whatever the road is called. Slap the postcode into the satnav and we're away. As long as it leads me to the race HQ that's good enough for me. Using brain power to remember specific locations is a lot of effort and unnecessary.

Managed to find the HQ. Quick drive around the course, got lost a few times (standard). Pretty big loop,mainly flat course with a kicker 3/4 way round and a drag up to the finish, last couple hundred Meters flatten out a bit. 

No pros were on the start list pre-race day, but a contingent of Madison, One pro and an NFTO managed to sneak into the race. This made the first few laps war, because like most British races particular national B or lower, there isn't much organisation so everyone wants to get up the road. So let the attacks commence. I got stuck in, sat high and followed the hitters. Spent a lot of time following moves, hiding  and chewing stem. Had a few moments when I dare look back for a split,it was mostly a long line, particularly for the first part of the course. Luckily my bunch skills have improved and I managed to slither myself through gaps to make life easier at the front or to just follow the biggest guy I could find!  Made some short lived moves but nothing serious that stuck. About half way through Leading up to the finish area, a few attacked and I bridged into a grim headwind, disgusting effort. I made it, just. It nearly came back and so the peloton split in the slight crosswind section after we turned left past the finish. So I made the front, thanks legs. However thanks to a inconsiderate driver slowing the race on purpose, all efforts were wasted and it came back. Thanks a lot.

A reasonable break were away in the last few laps, managed too not make it after being too far back thanks to getting a bottle (mistake) didn't help that the guy in front took his bottle like a snail. Thanks for getting in my way, appreciated.

Luckily we got most of the bunch rolling but after a while people weren't doing turns and got disorganized. Wasn't having that, so I got off the front with about 8 or more others and bridged to the front group. I took a bit of stick and sat on a bit, mainly because I wanted a result badly. Also thanks to the organizers for making the race longer that original, so by this point I'd asked every rider for a gel. No one. I needed one. Turns out a bar on the last lap wasn't a good plan (stitch).  

 3/4 a lap left and we were on, I ask around, 5 were off the front. A Madison rider marking moves for his teammate up ahead. 

Followed a move up a short hill, full beans, Nothing stuck. Legs must be good!
Leading to the finish it was attack after attack but after my previous bid I tried to keep at the front, follow a good wheel and use the finishing drag. Fighting for wheels, then 5 or so riders slipped off on the final drag around the outside, riders sat up in front and a rider then shut the door infront of  me. I kicked hard and only managed 16th. Not the result I hoped for, but 15th was an NFTO rider who medaled in the national TT champs, so shows the level.

Few things learnt. Race in the legs. Onto the next one..

Today's race (National B) - 
88 miles 
3 hr 21 min 
26.2 mph average
Number pinning (previous race). Nice socks.

3 1/2 hr Cruisin' to Oxford 


No comments:

Post a Comment